Careers Provider Access Policy
Policy Statement on provider access related to Careers Programme Information
Newman RC College: Provider Access Policy
Date of review
Date of next review: July 2019
This policy statement sets out the school’s arrangements for managing the access of providers to pupils at the school for the purpose of giving them information about the provider’s education or training offer. This complies with the school’s legal obligations under Section 42B of the Education Act 1997.
All pupils in years 8-11 are entitled to and are supported in:
- finding out about technical education qualifications and apprenticeships opportunities, as part of a careers programme which provides information on the full range of education and training options available at each transition point
- hearing from a range of local providers about the opportunities they offer, including technical education and apprenticeships – through options events, assemblies and group discussions and taster events
- understanding how to make applications for the full range of academic and technical courses.
Opportunities for access
The school have activities during 3 themed weeks per year which focus on engaging all the pupils in conversations related to careers. These are scheduled as follows:
- Aspirations Week 12.11.18
- Careers Week 04.03.19
- Enterprise Week 24.06.19
In addition to these, a number of events, integrated into the school careers programme, offer providers an opportunity to come into school to speak to pupils and/or their parents/carers.
|Autumn Term||Spring Term||Summer Term|
|Year 7||Hargreaves Engineering Young Talent Programme||World of Work Day|
|Year 8||World of Work Day||Hargreaves Engineering Young Talent Programme||TeenTech Assembly|
|Year 9||Assembly & Parents Evening for KS4 Options||TeenTech Assembly|
|Year 10||Careers Fair|
|Hargreaves Engineering Young Talent Programme||Careers Interviews|
Learn to Earn Day
6th Form and College Taster Days
|Year 11||Careers Interviews|
Support for post 16 applications
During the 2018-2019 academic year the school is also developing local employer links to support the curriculum delivery in a number of subject areas.
- Any pupils who require information about the school careers programme can speak to the Careers Advisor, Joanna Billington (office near reception) or Mr C Perkin (Assistant Headteacher)
- Any parents who require information about the school careers programme can contact Mr C Perkin (Assistant Headteacher) via email: email@example.com or via reception on 0161 7858858
- Any provider wishing to request access should contact Mr C Perkin (Assistant Headteacher) via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via reception on 0161 7858858
Premises and facilities
Newman RC College will make spaces available for discussions between the provider and students, as appropriate to the activity. The school will also make available any AV and other specialist equipment to support provider presentations. This will all be discussed and agreed in advance of the visit with Mr C Perkin or a member of the appropriate Year team.
Providers are welcome to leave a copy of their prospectus or other relevant course literature at Reception, which will be made available to students via the Library and Careers Advisor. The Library is available to all students at lunch and break times and the Careers Advisor is available to all students at lunch and break times on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
The schools’ career programme is evaluated through student and provider surveys which are used to adjust and improve events and activities each year. The school also monitors the school leaver figures each year to ensure that all students are engaged with the most appropriate pathway of education, employment or training when leaving the college.