Letter for Y7 Pupils starting in September
New Academic Year September 2017
I hope you found the information valuable on the occasion of the recent New Intake Evening. I want to be sure, however, that you have the following information in preparation for a successful start to the new term in September.
Arrangements for the end of term
The latest bus timetables will be published on the website on 1st August 2017 for your convenience.
Arrangements for the pupils’ return to college have been planned to allow a smooth transition into the new academic year. The college day will begin at 8:55am, but staff will be on duty from 8:40am onwards. Please ensure your child arrives at school by 8.55am on Tuesday, 5th September 2017 where he/she will be met by his/her form tutor and guided to the correct location.
College Day Time
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
As a college we continue to insist on the highest standards of uniform. Parents have been very supportive of our drive to maintain the highest of standards in this area. The college continues to monitor uniform standards to ensure that our students are smart and dressed in a manner appropriate for a formal learning environment. As such, in addition towearing compulsory items of uniformwe would like to make explicit the following expectations from September 2017:
- trainer type shoes or canvas pumps are not permitted
- college skirts must be an appropriate length (no more than 7cm above or below the knee)
- skirts must not be lycra
- false tan, false eyelashes, false nails, nail varnish, make up and jewellery are not permitted
- extreme hair styles and colours are not permitted
- body piercings must not be worn (even when not visible)
Should students arrive in college in breach of any uniform expectations then they will be asked to rectify this immediately prior to attending any lessons. This may require students to borrow items of uniform from college stock where necessary, including footwear.
I would like to make parents aware of uniform sales during the holidays. The week beginning Monday, 24th to Friday 28th July uniform will be on sale from 9:00am to 3:00pm and then week beginning Tuesday, 29th August to Friday, 1st September from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Parents will still be able to contact college through the reception desk during the summer holiday between 9:00am and 3:00pm should they require any additional information or clarification. This information is also available on the college website.
Equipment for Learning
It is essential that all students carry the basic equipment for learning on a daily basis. From September the following items of equipment are compulsory for all students:
- pen, pencil, ruler
- school bag
- reading book
- Newman College issued planner
- full Newman College PE kit
Equipment will be checked daily by form tutors. Where students do not have the compulsory equipment for learning they will be asked to borrow and sign for college issued equipment and a sanction will be imposed.
Full PE kit is required for college even if for medical reasons your child is not permitted to partake as they will be assigned other appropriate duties as part of their PE lesson in this case.
Attendance and Punctuality
Newman College believes that excellent attendance is vital for all our pupils if they are to gain the most from the education we provide. There are clearly documented links between good attendance and academic achievement. We hope that parents will assist our efforts to ensure their child meets the minimum expected attendance of 96% attendance to college by:
- ensuring your child attends every day unless they are genuinely too sick to attend. A bad headache or stomach ache should not prevent students attending college
- ensuring your child arrives in college each day for 8.55am at the latest
- contacting college on the first day of absence when your child is genuinely too sick to attend
- arranging medical appointment outside of college hours. Where this is not possible ensuring your child does not miss a full day of learning for one appointment
- not making a request to take a holiday during term time as this is highly likely to be declined and a financial penalty imposed should the holiday be taken without authorisation
I must ask for your support with regard to the safeguarding of children and staff at the start and end of the college day. The college site has space designated for staff parking, a few visitor/disabled parking spaces and a one-way system for college buses only. The increase in the number of parents parking and causing obstructions on the site at the start and end of the day poses a genuine risk to the safeguarding of children and staff and is a serious concern for neighbours who experience great inconvenience, particularly on the Thatch leach and Fold Green estate. Likewise those parents who stop on Broadway to drop children off. I urge you to utilise only the Ancora site for parking when dropping off and picking up children. Parents can of course then walk across Broadway to meet children if they so wish.
Finally, thank you for the support you have given to the college this year. May God bless you and keep you safe during the summer break.
Mr M McGhee