The letter below has been sent to all parents and carers of our pupils today:
Director of Public Health
Oldham Council Civic Centre Oldham OL1 1UT
To Parents and Families of Oldham Schools
Firstly, I would like to extend my thanks to you. Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, you have supported your children, and the community, in a time of uncertainty and anxiety. We need to ask for your continued support.
Schools and education settings are only open for vulnerable children and those of critical workers. Your school has been working closely with public health and education colleagues from Oldham Council to ensure that the right measures are in place to keep your children safe, this includes handwashing, using class bubbles and lots of cleaning.
We must ask for your help in supporting the school to ensure that children and staff are safe. We all need to follow the guidance on social distancing and ensure that people with COVID-19 and their close contacts self-isolate in order to prevent further spread.
We must ask you all to follow the restrictions, including staying at home apart from for essential reasons including work, education, exercise outdoors, essential shopping or medical concerns. In addition, it is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are part of your household - meaning the people you live with - or support bubble.
The self-isolation guidance remains the same. You must self-isolate immediately if:
• you have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
• you've tested positive for coronavirus
• you live with someone who has symptoms or tested positive
• someone in your support bubble has symptoms or tested positive
• you're told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace (including by a school or setting who has been advised by contact tracers) or the NHS COVID-19 app
• you arrive in the UK from a country with a high coronavirus risk (regardless of a negative test result before departure or on arrival)
It is incredibly important that the self-isolation guidance is adhered to. Self-isolation for people who test positive and their close contacts is a legal requirement. This recognises the importance of self-isolation in preventing the transmission of the virus and protecting the most vulnerable in our community. If you have been told to self-isolate, are on a low income and will lose income as a result of self-isolating, you may be entitled to a support payment. More detail can be found via the following link: https://www.oldham.gov.uk/selfisolationpayment
Thank you again for all your help and support. It is only by us all working together that we will tackle the impact of COVID-19 in our communities.
Director of Public Health Oldham Council