End of Summer Term Letter
The letter below has been sent to Parents/Guardians via MyEd:
21st July 2021
As another unusual and challenging academic year draws to a close, we can once again look back with great pride. Our students have been a credit to you and all the staff at Newman College. The students have overcome adversity and remained resilient and optimistic about the future. It has been a great honour to watch them continue to flourish through these unprecedented times.
Arrangements for the end of term
The college closes for the summer holiday at 12 noon on Friday 23rd July 2021. All the school bus services will be running, except for 833 and 836 Rosso services. If your child normally travels on the 833 or 836 services, then please make alternative arrangements for their journey home.
Students return to college in September
The table below shows the return dates for each year group.
* For students that have given consent for Covid-19 testing ONLY. Students will be invited in by appointment on their set day and then return home.
College day times
Monday to Friday the College doors will be open at 8:30am.
The timings of the day have changed slightly, so that all students are now expected to be in their Form Room no later than 8:50am when the attendance register will be taken.
For Years 7 to 10, the College day ends at 3:15pm, except on Wednesday when all students finish at 1:45pm.
For Year 11, the College day will now include revision sessions (3:15- 4:00pm), and therefore the Year 11 College day will end at 4:00pm, except on Wednesday when all students finish at 1:45pm.
As a college we continue to insist on the highest standards of uniform. Parents have been very supportive of our drive to maintain the highest of standards in this area. The college continues to monitor uniform standards to ensure that our students are smart and dressed in a manner appropriate for a formal learning environment. As such, in addition to wearing compulsory items of uniform we would like to make explicit the following expectations from September 2021:
• Trainer type shoes, canvas pumps, or boots of any kind are NOT permitted.
• Trousers must be ‘Tailored’, NOT skinny fit.
• College issued skirts with the Newman logo MUST be worn. To ensure dignity whilst moving around the college, skirts must not be turned over at the waistband and the logo must always be clearly visible. The Newman skirt is available from our uniform suppliers in two lengths. Please choose the appropriate length for your child. Girls may choose to wear black tailored trousers as an alternative.
• Plain black ankle socks only for girls and boys. Knee high, over the knee socks and socks with a frill/lace are NOT permitted, nor are socks of any other colour.
• Plain black tights are the only acceptable alternative to black ankle socks.
• False tan, false eyelashes, false nails, nail varnish, make up and jewellery are NOT permitted.
• Body piercings, retainers or covering plasters must NOT be worn (even when not visible).
Equipment for learning
It is essential that all students carry the basic equipment for learning on a daily basis. From September the following items of equipment are compulsory for all students:
• Pencil case containing pen, pencil, ruler, calculator
• School bag
• Reading book
• Full Newman College PE kit
Equipment will be checked daily by form tutors. Where students do not have the compulsory equipment for learning they will be asked to borrow and sign for college issued equipment.
Full PE kit is required for college even if for medical reasons your child is not permitted to partake as they will be assigned other appropriate duties as part of their PE lesson in this case.
Attendance and punctuality
We know that excellent attendance is essential for all our students so that they gain the most from the education we provide. There are clearly documented links between good attendance and academic achievement. We insist that parents work with the college to ensure their child meets the expected standard of 100% attendance by:
• ensuring your child attends every day unless they are genuinely too sick to attend. ensuring your child arrives in college each day for 8.50am at the latest.
• contacting college on the first day of absence when your child is genuinely too sick to attend.
• arranging medical appointments outside of college hours. Where this is not possible ensuring your child does not miss a full day of learning for one appointment. Evidence of appointments will be required.
• not making a request to take a holiday during term time as this will be declined, and a financial penalty imposed should the holiday be taken without authorisation.
MyEd is our parental app, and our preferred form of communication with parents. It is the fastest way of ensuring that you receive all the information you need in a timely way, including information and consent for trips. The app can be downloaded onto both Apple and android devices, and provides a wealth of information about the college, and your child’s attendance, behaviour, timetable, and more. Please also ensure that you have provided us with your current email address.
Bus timetables & information
We have now received confirmation of bus timetables from Transport for Greater Manchester (Transport for Greater Manchester (tfgm.com) for September and these are on our website: Transport | Newman RC College
Drop off and collection of students
I must ask for your continued support with regard to the safeguarding of children and staff at the start and end of the college day. The college site has space designated for staff parking, a small number of disabled parking spaces, and a one way system which is essential for the safe arrival and departure of buses. We will continue with the current system in September which is the use of the car park at San Rocco to drop off and collect students. Vehicles without a pass will not be allowed entry onto site at the end of the school day, to protect the safety of staff and children. I am grateful for your continued co-operation.
Finally, thank you for the support you have given to the college this year. May God bless you and keep you safe during the summer break.
Mr G R Potts DL
A list of some activities being provided by the Oldham local authority this summer can be downloaded by clicking the link below: